Since moving to my new residence in Surbiton, I’ve struggled to find as many good local food shops in close vicinity, so it’s fantastic that there have recently been some farmers markets in my street, Maple Road. The local shops (listed here: http://www.mapleroadsurbiton.co.uk/) sponsored the market, which included a number of great stalls – mostly food – but also some flower and arts stalls.
Some that I visited included:
- Norbiton Fine Cheese Company (which will come as little surprise)
- Simons Free Range Eggs (pretty straightforward proposition)
- Allingham Farm (which had a good variety including non-traditional)
- SussexWay Traditional Meat (where I got a nice belly of pork)
- Corte dei Signori (got some great extra virgin olive oil)
I was thoroughly happy with what was on offer and even managed to get some mutton, which is hard to get hold of. I also tried a new cheese from the Norbiton Fine Cheese Company. It’s good to know as well that you’re dealing small local businesses, which helps to mitigate the feeling that all my money goes to Sainsbury’s and Waitrose.
Though I’ve not yet heard whether the markets are going to continue, SussexWay Meat’s website suggests they are going to continue to be regular – on the 3rd Saturday of each month at Maple road – here’s hoping!